If the father of my newborn knowingly left me homeless during pregnancy and now wants overnights with newborn, do I have a case for neglect?

Never married couple.

Asked on December 10, 2011 under Family Law, Arizona


Paula McGill / Paula J. McGill, Attorney at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In Georgia, for unmarried parents, unless and until the father legitimates the child and obtains court ordered visitation or custody, the mother has full custody of the child. You can give him no or as little visitation as you want. Full custody is with the mother regardless of whether you seek and are awarded child support or not. Therefore, you should consider seeking child support. Nevertheless, if the father wants to establish a relationship with his child, you may want to consider encouraging one. With only a few exceptions, it is in the best interest of the child to have some contact with the father, even if it is just supervised visitation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.