If meighbor has been crossing my vacant lot’s corner to enter and exit garage for probably more than 15 years, do I have any recourse?

I’m considering buying a vacant residential lot. It appears that the neighbor garage faces onto the lot such that he drives across the lot’s corner to enter and exit. I do not yet have a survey to prove. Present owner claims no knowledge. If neighbor has indeed been trespassing in this way for more than 15 years, would I have any recourse as the new owner?

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the neighbor has been using a portion of the property that you are considering purchasing for more than fifteen (15) years you may be buying real property subject to a prescriptive easement with respect to that particular neighbor's use.

Before you buy the property, you should speak with the neighbor as to whether he or she claims an interest in the land. If not, then you should have the neighbor sign a disclaimer before a notary public regarding such. I suggest that you speak also with a real estate attorney about the facts of the matter that you are writing about.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.