neigbor’s tree

Two big brances of my neighbor’s tree fell on my property. Who pays for the cleanup?

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Neighbors have a duty not to trespass on adjoining property, and this could include overhanging tree branches. However, this type of case can be expensive to bring to court in relation to the amount of harm done. It may be difficult to be successful in court unless you can show a good reason why the tree branches are harming you or your property.

If the damage the branches causes is severe and will be expensive to repair than I would advise contacting a local attorney who can help you decide how to proceed. They will explain the cost of proceedings as well as the possibility you will prevail and what you will win. At that point together you can decide whether or not to proceed

good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.