I need to know what legal action I should take over a house that the owner sold to me illegally?

I signed papers on the purchase of the house but in over 10 years I have never gotten a copy of them. I have all my receipts, which say house payment on them, and I have found out that the owner never reported the sale or the income from the house to IRS or the state tax office. I have also found out that he has not paid the property tax on the mobile and property that it sets on in five years. The mobile was in sad disrepair and I have put a lot of time and money into what repairs I could afford. I am also a senior, 68 years old and on Social Security. What can I do?

Asked on October 27, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that you purchased a house from the owner, did you have a formal escrow company do the transaction for you where money was transferred by you to the seller and paperwork signed?

If so, you need to contact that escrow company to have the file retrieved so you can get copies of the paperwork that you do not have. If you did not have a formal escrow for the purchase of the home that you write about and do not have any paperwork from the purchase, you should write the seller asking for the copies to be sent to you in a set time period.

If not delivered, you should consult with an experienced real estate attorney about your situation.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.