What can I do if I need to change my visa status from a 90 day visitor to H2B?

I have the petitioner I-129 filled out for my pending job. Do I need to also fill out the I-539 change of status form as well?

Asked on June 15, 2014 under Immigration Law, Washington


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the petition has been submitted to USCIS as a change of status, then you do not need to do anything further.  Once the petition is approved, your status will automatically be changed to the requested status.  However, if consular processing was requested, you will need to go to the US Consulate abroad to get the appropriate visa once the petition has been approved.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.