What are my rights if I need to break my lease?

I have several issues with this complex. There is a serious mosquito problem due to lots of lakes and ponds; I have a serious allergy to mosquitos. I complained to their corporate office and they did nothing except say there were no mosquitoes. I ended up in the ER and taking 2 different kinds of meds for this problem.

Asked on October 8, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you want to break your lease you need to carefully read the terms of the written lease assuming you have one in that its terms and conditions control the obligations owed to you by the landlord and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law.

If you are on a month-to-moth lease, you should give your landlord the required written notice that you desire to end your lease if that is your desire. If you have a longer term remaining on your lease and you end it early with months left on it, you could very well be responsible to the landlord for the monthly rental multiplied by the months left.

Unfortunately the landlord has no control over the mosquito issue and your allergy to them does not seem to be a basis for you to end your lease.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.