Need more info on what to do…

I purchased a business license while working for a company that is now a direct competitor. They are threatening legal action, but they shorted me on my last paycheck, saying that I borrowed money to be repaid, which I can prove never happened.Also, they have called all of my former clients and told them not to work with my company. I have a client willing to submit a sworn statement, but I do not want this to go to court, as they can tie up what little startup money I have in court. What do I do?

Asked on July 3, 2009 under Business Law, Oregon


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you aren't prepared to go to court, there really isn't much that you can be sure of doing.  You can hire a lawyer to answer their lawyer's threatening letter and threaten them back, but they can still sue you, and if they ignore your threats about their interference with your business, the only thing you can do about it is sue them.

I think what you need to do next, is have a competent business attorney in your area review all of the facts, the ones that are helpful and the ones that are inconvenient, for reliable advice about how to handle all of these issues.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.