What to do if I am charged with manufacture of marijuana and drug paraphenalia?

My office was broken into when I was out of town and when the police investigated the break in these items were found. Was this a legal search? I was asked to move out of the building and when I went to get my stuff I was arrested. I have yet to see the evidence they confiscated. There were 5 very small plants less than 6 inches high with 3 desk lights shining on them, digital scales, glass pipe, plastic pipe, and box of sandwich bags.

Asked on June 8, 2012 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to consult a criminal defense attorney in your area immediately to discuss the facts of your case with and to build a defense. The attorney should be able to challenge the legality of the search. If the officers had a search warrant, then your presence during the time of the search is irrelevant. These are very serious charges and you will need the advice and counsel of an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.