What to do about an incorrect date on a GC card?

I am in process of applying for my naturalization. I received my GC 8 years ago, however, the card shows the residence since date as 3 years earlier. I read on forums that all USCIS cares about is that I have completed 5 years on my GC, which I have. It’s been about 7 years since I received my GC. The process of applying and receiving a new GC card will push the process by 2-3 months. I would much appreciate an advice on if I should file for my naturalization or wait until I receive my corrected GC even though I have been a PR for last 7 years?

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Immigration Law, Georgia


Harun Kazmi / Kazmi and Sakata Attorneys at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You should be fine. The USCIS record will show the original start date. If you remain qualified on all other factors, you will be fine. It may be helpful if you have the old card or approval notices.

SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can apply for naturalization as long as you have been a permanent resident for 5 years and have satisfied the physical presence requirements for filing.  It does not matter if the GC card shows an incorrect date as long as you provide correct information on the naturalization form and explain any discrepancies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.