Naturalization for my husband

I am a US citizen and have been married to a Lebanese citizen for 6 years and we have a child together who is 3 years old and also a U.S. citizen. He has a non-immigrant visa to the U.S. and he will be using it to enter with me

and our daughter and I will be applying for him for a green card so that he can live with his daughter and I in California. His non-immigrant visit visa expires in December of this year 2017. Will he still be able to stay in the

U.S. after his visit visa expires if I am applying for an adjustment of status for him? And how long would it take for him to get his work permit?

Asked on September 17, 2017 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You cannot and should not file for his adjustment of status as soon as he enters the US as that will be seen as a violation of his visitor's visa.  Also keep in mind that at the time of his entry to the US, depending on what he states as his reason for entering the US, he may not be permitted to enter if he is deemed to have immigrant intent.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.