I’ve been a perm resident US citizen spouse for 3 years, but I owe income
taxes. Will my citizenship request be denied?

Asked on October 15, 2017 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you owe taxes but have not taken any steps to start repayment, it would probably be best for you to first get that taken care of before you apply for naturalization.  Assuming you are eligible to apply for naturalization after 3 years because you are married to a US citizen, you should first contact a tax professional to get the tax situation cleared up.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.