What to do with an insurance policy if the beneficiary designation conflicts with the terms of a family trust?

My mom has her assets in a revocable family trust, which consists of her home and insurance policies. Her Will (with little exception) states that each of her 3 children will share evenly in her estate. However, there is 1 insurance policy included in the trust where she specifically named her grandchildren as beneficiaries. Is there a conflict? Should that policy be excluded from the trust?

Asked on October 30, 2011 under Estate Planning, New York


Sharon Siegel / Siegel & Siegel, P.C.

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your mom is still alive and competent, she should see a lawyer to clean up this issue.  If your has passed, the insurance passes to the designated beneficiary outside of probate (outside of a will).   Of course, this can be challenged, but it will likely pass to the designated beneficiary.  If the trust is the designated beneificary,  te proceeds of the trust will pass pursuant to the terms of the trust.  Thus, for example, if all assets in the trust go to one child, those assets held in the trust  will go, following the same example, to that one child.  It would not matter what the will said.   The will could be challenged.  This is common.  The only policies that will be distributed according to the trust are those with the name of the trust as the designated benficiary.




IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.