name misspelled

I recently submitted on line a Power of Attorney and mistakenly left out and ‘s’
in one of my daughters last names. Is it necessary to redo the form, or upon my
inability to care for myself, can she show I.D. as proof.

Asked on May 2, 2016 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It would be a good idea to redo the form, to eliminate one possible source of confusion or reluctance on the part of others to rely on the POA, but strictly speaking, you are not legally required to redo a POA due to a typo, so long as it is clear whom the attorney-in-fact (person given the power; your daughter) is. So if the POA has a name very close to hers and states "my daughter" or something like that, it will not be invalidated by a typo: her identify is clear. That said, the last thing you want if she has to exercise the power is for her to have the added stress of some overly cautious person or entity looking for a reason to not honor the POA--it would be better to redo it so that it is 100% right.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.