Myself and another co-worker were repeatedly harassed and treated unfairly during the past 10 months when our supervisor found out we were pregnanat.

Asked on June 26, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Utah


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

According to Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, discrimination on the basis of pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions constitutes unlawful sex discrimination. This means you can’t be fired for being pregnant or having a baby and you certainly can't be harassed because of it.

An employer also cannot single out pregnancy-related conditions to determine an employee’s ability to work. If an employee is temporarily unable to perform her job due to pregnancy, the employer must treat her the same as any other temporarily disabled employee, because pregnancy is considered a temporary disability. For example, the employer may provide modified tasks, alternative assignments, disability leave or leave without pay. 

You should consult your company’s human resources manager or the company handbook to investigate your company’s specific policy and how to file a grievance.  Otherwise, consult an attorney and bring with you all the documentation and witnesses you have.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.