What to do if my mother passed away last week and her ex-husband is keeping her personal belongings from me?

They are in her home and the landlord will not allow me in. They are not married and haven’t for 6 years. My mother had no Will.

Asked on June 3, 2012 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  You need to go to the probate court in the county in which your Mother resided at the time of her death to be appointed as the personal representative of her estate.  Once appointed then you will have the power and authority to enter her apartment and to gather her belongings.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.