What to do if my former employer is refusing to pay out my E.S.O.P benefits?

It is a privately owned company. How do I force them to pay the money? I do have certificates for the stocks and money they owe me.

Asked on March 19, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to carefully read the terms and conditions with respect to your ownership of stock in four former employer's company under the E.S.O.P. that you are writing about to see what mechanisms must be utilized for you to get the pay out. Under the plan there may be certain time periods for a pay out assuming you are vested under the plan.

I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of labor law to further assist you in the matter of consult with your local department of labor. This entity oversees such plans with an employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.