If my ex-husband is in contempt of the divorce papers for past debt, what do I do to get these debts paid and the creditors off my back?

In my divorce my ex claimed all debt. It was ordered in the divorce papers for him to pay all debt off. He paid half and the creditors are still coming after me for the rest. He refuses any obligation to what’s left. How do I go about getting the creditors off my back; they are telling me I have to take him to court.

Asked on September 13, 2011 under Family Law, Oregon


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The creditors are correct.  You will need to seek enforcement of the divorce decree in court against your ex-husband.  Your ex-husband could be subject to civil and/or criminal penalties for violating court orders.  Contact the court clerk to find out which documents (court forms) you will need to file with the court to seek enforcement of the divorce decree against your ex-husband.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.