If my workplace hired me and it’s written in the paperwork the position I agreed to be hired for, can it change my position without my consent?

Asked on December 8, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It depends. Did your paperwork state that your position could not be unilaterally changed at a later date? If not, then so long as this change did not violate any employment agreement, union contract or company policy, it is perfectly legal. Also, your treatment must not have been the result of any form of legally actionable discrimination and/or retaliation.
The fact is that in an at will employment arrangment, an employer can change the terms and conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit or deems necessary. This includes, reassigning an employee to different position.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.