What to do if my workplace has required employees in another department to work 7 days a week for the next 3 weeks?

My department has required me and my co-workers to work 6 days a week for the next 3 weeks. My manager sent out an email to all of us in our department that if we discuss or talk about the discrepancy with members of the other department (we all work in the same room together), that there will be corrective action taken against the one who did it (I l work in a non-union environment). It seems to me to be a clear violation of the National Labor Relations Act. Am I correct, and is there anything I can do about this without having to be fired first?

Asked on January 23, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Given what you have written about you are entitled to overtime pay for any hours worked over 8 hours per day or 40 per week. As to a violation under the National Labor Relations Act the threat of corrective action is improper if the extra hours are discussed with others who do not know about it. I suggest that you meet with your human relations department about your concerns and follow up with a letter memorializing what was discussed.

If you are penalized, consult with a labor law attorney and/or a representative with your local department of labor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.