If the wiring in my rental is not done right, does the landlord have to pay for this?

The wiring in my wash room is not done right. My landlord had a person come look at it and he still didn’t do it right. I now have 2 washers that have broken because of it; 1 had when I moved in and 1 I have to rent because of it. Now the one I rent is broken and they are trying to get me to pay for it. It is my landlord’s place to do this?

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A landlord is not affirmatively required to improve or correct wiring, other than his obligation to comply with all building codes and provide a premises which is safe to inhabit. That said, if the landlord is aware of a problem with the wiring and does not correct it, he (not the tenant) would be liable for any damages, injuries, or costs it causes. If the landlord tries to make you pay, if you can show that you have provided notice to the landlord of the problem, you should have a good defense. You may wish to also call the building department or code enforcement, and see if they will inspect and--if there's something not to code--issue a citation or otherwise force the landlord to correct the situation. The citation and inspection could also be evidence in your favor if you end up in litigation with your landlord.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.