What can my wife do if she was sent to the hospital from work because she was electrocuted due to a machine’s motor was not working properly and the mechanics knew about it?

Could she win if she sues the company?

Asked on February 13, 2016 under Personal Injury, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If the mechanics were employees of her employer and if she can prove that 1) the mechanics did in fact know of the problem with the motor and 2) that problem caused or contributed to the electrocution, then she would have a reasonably good chance of winning. However, the question then becomes, how much could she get? You can only win compensation in a personal injury case equal to the sum of out-of-pocket (not paid by insurance) medical costs, lost wages (if any), or other out-of-pocket costs directly arising from the accident--and, if she suffers significant, long-lasting (many weeks or months or more) disability or life impairment, some amount for "pain and suffering." But if, as we hope, you wife was not badly injured, recovers quickly, and does not incur major expenses, it is most likely not worth the cost and time of a lawsuit, since you could not be able to recover much in the way of money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.