Since my wife wants a divorce tand he house mortgage is in her name, do I have to pay half of the monthly payments if I move out?

Asked on March 21, 2012 under Family Law, Louisiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Whether you have to pay a portion of any mortgage on the house that is in the name of your wife but not you depends upon what you and she ultimately agree upon and if unable to agree upon what the family law judge hearing your case ultimately decides. Under the laws of most states, the court divides the assets of the parties according to the state law in effect. For you to make any mortgage payments on the house that you are writing about presumes that you will be ordered to pay some sort of alimony.

You may not be ordered to pay any alimony by the court concerning your dissolution.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.