my wife says she will refuse to sign divorce papers

Separated twenty years. I want out
of my marriage…

Asked on April 30, 2016 under Family Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You sue her for divorce in court: no one can keep another person married against his or her will. The divorce will be a contested or adversarial proceeding, rather than a more amicable one, but you can file a divorce case, will get to trial after some number of months (or, if your wife really tries to drag things out and fights tooth and nail, a few years), and get a court order dissolving your marriage. Hire a divorce attorney to bring the case for you--it will be much easier and less stressful.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.