If my wife’s ex died and the insurer wants proof of guardianship in order for her to receive the proceeds, will her being named as custodial parent be proof?

Her divorce decree names her as custodial parent.

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Family Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Generally a certified copy of a court order setting forth the custodial roles of parents of a minor child with respect to the matter that you have written about should be sufficient evidence to the insurer with respect to the presumed life insurance policy for your step child.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.