What to do if my wife’s stepmother lived in an assisted living facility in another state and died unexpectedly but we can’t find her Will?

It seems that her important papers are missing. We know that she had a Will drafted by an attorney. How can we find out the name of the attorney or the executor of her Will?

Asked on November 3, 2014 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  The only way for sure is to find the Will itself or at least a copy.  You need to do some sleuthing around.  Many people use attorneys that they know or who are close to their home.  Did she have any friends or other family around?  Maybe a neighbor was a witness to the Will and could guide you?  If you can not find it then the estate passes via intestacy statute in the state in which she resided at the time of her death.  Get some help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.