If my wife’s sister died without a Will, what can we do with checks made out to her estate?

Everyone tells us an estate is expensive to set up? We are planning to send the checks back to senders.

Asked on February 25, 2013 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

There is not enough information here to assist you. Please obtain consultation of a probate lawyer before returning the checks. Disregard what everyone else tells you about the expense of probate, as they are probably operating on misinformation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.