If my wife’s marriage was not dissolved before we married, how do I begin the process of annulling my marriage?

Asked on June 28, 2012 under Family Law, Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way to begin the process of annulling your marriage to your wife because she was already married to another person at the time is to consult with a family law attorney to begin the legal process to do so.

You will need to file a petition to annul the marriage in the county and state's superior court where you currently reside and have your wife served with the summons and petition to get the process started.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.