My wife recently had a baby and she was charged a room fee for 2 days. My daughter stayed in her room the entire time except for tests etc. she was also charged 2 days for nursery room and board even though she never stayed in there.

My wife was charged 2800 a day
My daughter was charged 3000 a day

Asked on March 9, 2018 under Business Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You procedurally or legally have three options:
1) Pay the amount requested;
2) Try to negotiate a settlement in which they will accept some lesser amount as payment in full--it is voluntary on their part to accept a settlement, so while this is often worth trying, success is not and cannot be guaranteed;
3) Refuse to pay and force them to sue you--if in court, you can convince the court that the fee is unreasonable and unwarranted because your daughter was in your wife's room the whole time, you will not have to pay...but bear in mind that the court could find for them (i.e. find that you do have to pay) and, if it does, could potentially award them legal fees if any of the papers or documents you signed at the hospital state that if they sue you and win, they can get attorney's fees, too.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.