How do I get the deed to property that I inherited?

My wife passed on a few month ago and in her Will, left everything to me. Our house is paid for with no liens. How do I get the deed to be registered in my name only? Our Wills left everything to the surviving spouse.

Asked on June 4, 2012 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am oso sorry for your loss.  If the property was held jointly as husband and wife then you have what is known as "rights of survivorship" and the house passed automatically "by operation of law" upon her death to you.  It does not need to go through the probate of the estate. So you do not need to transfer it if you choose not to. That goes for bank accounts, etc.  If you wish to do that then generally an executor's deed does same and then you need to probate the estate. Take the Will to some one and ask.  You probably own everything outright now and probate would be just an expense.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.