If my wife of 25 years has asked for a divorce and she has moved out, can I change the door locks to prevent her from coming and going as she pleases?

Asked on January 22, 2013 under Family Law, Florida


Anthony Van Johnson / VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, L.L.C.

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

To prevent possible problems down the road, my advice would be to obtain a temporary order in the court establishing who will have sole and exclusive possession and use of the marital residence, pending a final order of divorce.  Without a court order, either party has the right of access to the marital residence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.