What should I do about an alleged threat against my wife?

My wife left our rental home 9 months ago; the lease we shared expired 7 months ago. Cuurently I remain at the home on a month-to month-basis. Then , last month, my wife toldme that she is moving back into the home. I told her absolutely not. She kept insisting that she was. So I posted a sign on a social network site that read, “It’s gods job to judge those that trespass on my property; it’s my job to arrange the meeting”. The message was accompanied by a video of me shooting a gun. My wife made a complaint that I threatened her so now I have to go to court. I should also mention that she took all of her property when she left so I had nothing that belonged to her. Was it legal to post that message? Should i speak with a criminal law attorney? I’m in Benton County, AR. 

Asked on November 9, 2011 under Criminal Law, Arkansas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

One of the dangers associated with social networking sites is the level to which a) they are not private but extremely public and b) they can be a source of criminal activity. You may have indeed committed a criminal act by essentially giving the impression of a threat with the use of a video shooting a gun. At this point, you may wish to simply contact a criminal defense attorney and talk to him or her about a) immediately taking down the post and b) to what extent this can be dropped by her simply agreeing to leave you alone. You may actually need to file a restraining order against her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.