If my wife left me a year ago taking most of my home belongings, what documents do I need in order to keep the house under my name and take hers off since we’re to go to court for our divorce?

She had never paid for the morgage for the 3 years we lived in our home however her name IS on the house.

Asked on August 16, 2015 under Family Law, Nevada


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

A quitclaim deed signed by your wife transferring the house to you will release her entire right, title, and interest in the house.

The quitclaim deed is signed in the presence of a  notary.  After being signed in the presence of a notary, the quitclaim deed becomes effective upon being recorded (filed with the County Recorder's Office).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.