My wife left me 2-months ago and now wants me to change title of car to her and wants to take furniture from home. Can she do this legally ?

She left to stay with some rich guy she knows, mother, to be a live in
caretaker. Now she wants to take furniture, bed and dresser, from our
home to take to her son’s house that lives at the beach so she will have
it there when she visits him. The furniture isn’t even paid for yet. She
also wants me to sign the title of our broken down SUV that she said
shes going to get towed and fixed and wants me to sign the title over to
her. She said she is going to bring a sheriff with her to get anything
she wants from the house. Can she legally do all this ?

Asked on September 23, 2018 under Family Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Your wife has the same claim to your marital assets that you do until you both agree otherwise or a court decides otherwise.  I think that it is time for you to speak with a lawyer and file for divorce and request that the court not allow her to take anything at this point until you can divode assets or the court decides.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.