If my wife is pregnant by someone else, am I legally responsible to take care of this child?

Asked on January 19, 2013 under Family Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, under the facts that you have written about you are presumed to be the father of the child that you have written about and are obligated to support the minor. Your recourse is to file a paternity action against the presumed true father and if proven, he would be responsible for the upkeep of his child.

I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney further to give you guidance as to how you wish to proceed in your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.