If my wife is legally disabled with a medical condition, once we’re divorced and I buy her half of the house can I insist she move out?

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Family Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If there is a martial dissolution agreement where you receive legal title to the home that is a marital asset typically the court sets forth in the judgment of dissolution who is the new owner as to it. If you end up buying out your wife's interests in the home as part of the dissolution agreement, then you have every right that she vacate the unit. The reason is that she no longer owns an interest in it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.