My wife is cheating on me with a felon that robbed a liquor store when he was 19. He recently choked his roommate and is staying on friends couches so he’s essentially homeless. We have two small daughters and I do not want this person around my children.

My wife is also an avid pot smoker. I work for the federal government and provide the family’s insurance but she runs an Etsy shop and makes substantially more than me. What would be the best way to insure I get full custody of my children so they are not around this person.

Asked on December 15, 2017 under Family Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

I think that it is time for you to seek legal counsel about filing for divorce as well as temporary child support, spousal support and custody of the kids.  It is called a Pendente Lite motion.  Make sure your lawyer knows that visitation should not be overnight or around him and maybe even supervised.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.