What happens when an inheritance is left to children?

My wife is and children were left money from her aunt. To say this has been handled poorly by the estate chairperson in the family would be putting it mildly. They are finally ready to distribute the money but just now informed us we must turn in paperwork in the form of a guardianship so they can distribute the money to the minors. From what I understand it is a conservatorship that is needed. Can this be done with just paperwork or must legal counsel and a legal conservator be obtained on our end?

Asked on July 17, 2014 under Estate Planning, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It is my understanding that in the state of Missouri an attorney must file the Petition in Probate Court for the appointment of a conservator or guardian of the minor child or children. Generally speaking, you as the parents - either of you - are the parent and natural guardians of your child and so you would be the natural appointees. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.