What is the fastest way to get a divorce?

My wife has left me and is moving in with another man. She said she does not want anything from me and will give me a divorce.

Asked on November 6, 2011 under Family Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  If you and your wife both agree to get a divorce then you can file for what is called a no-fault divorce.  And you can enter in to a divorce agreement that will divide your assets - you want one even if she says she wants nothing. You want her to waive all rights in writing.  This way she can not say that you did anything that would be under handed.  And please make sure that she has an attorney - at least to explain to her what she is signing.  The agreement should state that she was advised by counsel on the matter.  Once the agreement is signed it can be submitted with the paperwork for the divorce.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.