If my wife has a separate bank account and she is also on mine, is it advisable for me to have her removed prior to filing for divorce?

My wife tells me that the courts frown upon changes to financial items when filing for divorce. However, we have not yet started the process. Is it advisable for me to leave her on the account or have her taken off of it prior to filing? I am concerned about her having access to my account.

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Family Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

This is something that you should discuss with your attorney in person.  First, you can not just take your wife off of a joint account, if that is indeed what the account is.  A bank will not do so.  And you need to know that it does not matter what the legal status of the account is.  Any money earned during a marriage is considered marital funds for distribution regardless if her name is on the account alone or yours is either. You may want to consider opening a new account once you file for divorce because then there will be a date certain that the court can look at to see that the funds earned after filing are not marital funds for distribution.  Yes, it is a pain but if you are worried about access then that is the best thing you can do.  The other accounts are subject to the state's community property laws anyway.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.