What can I do if my wife got into an accident on her way to work on private property so no police report was made?

It was on a back road that runs between businesses. The other driver left a parking lot pulled out in front of her and she hit the driver. He told my wife that it was his fault and told the cop that it was his fault. It was on private property so the cop could not file a police report. The driver did not report it as his fault to his insurance so they deny me of tort. Can I ask the cop for a written statement of the driver admitted to being his fault? What else can I do to get the tort to fix the damages on my vehicle?

Asked on June 22, 2014 under Accident Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the other driver for the damage (assuming that you do not have relevant insurance coverage, such as collision coverage, which will compensate you; if you do, the best thing to do is to let your insurer pay). Whether private property or public, if someone else was at fault in damaging your property, you may sue them for the cost to repair (if it can be repaired) or the then-current value (e.g. "bluebook value") if it could not be repaired. If the officer will not fill out or provide a police report, your option to get his testimony or evidence would be to subpoena him to appear at trial (assuming you sue) and testify. Of course, depending on the cost of the damage, it may or may not be ecomically worthwhile to file a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.