If my wife filed for divorce but has changed her mind,is there a form that will stop the divorce filling she did?

She says she want to stop it and work on the marriage with me.

Asked on September 25, 2011 under Family Law, Utah


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Your wife can file a request for dismissal.  It is a court form.  The form may vary from state to state, but she should check dismissal of entire action and all parties. 

A dismissal can be with prejudice or without prejudice.  With prejudice means the case can never be reinstated.  Without prejudice means the case can be reinstated.  Either with prejudice or without prejudice should be selected on the form.

The request for dismissal should be filed with the court with an attached proof of service (court form) verifying the date you were served with the dismissal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.