If my wife filed for divorce but I don’t want one, what can I do?

Asked on May 28, 2012 under Family Law, West Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, there really isn't anything that you can do if your wife is determined to go throught with a divorce. Even if you don't sign or otherwise answer the suit, she can still get the marriage dissolved. The way it works is that if you fail to respond to any documents sent to you, after a certain period of time (30-60 days in most jurisdictions), you will be considered to have defaulted. The court can then issue proceed to issue what is termed a "default divorce". Further, it will typically be granted on the terms and conditions that she requests (although you will be given a timeframe in which to appeal any property settlement or custody issues). Your best bet now is to consult with an attorney in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.