If my wife filed for an ex parte and a restraining order against mebut wasdenied both, can I sue her for the cost to defend myself against her bogus allegations?

I would like to be able to sue both my ex-wife and my former best friend that she had and is currently having an affair with. She used the system to have me removed from my home and my son. The judge through both of her requests out but it cost me over $2,500 to defend myself. I feel like I shouldn’t of had to do that and she should have to pay me back, if not more. Furthermore, I would also like to sue my former best friend for sabotaging my marriage or anything that I can.

Asked on November 9, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Whether you have a factual basis for bringing an action against your wife for a failed restraining action for monies spent in defending it is best addressed by the attorney who was successful in defending the action.

The problem is that to bring an action to recover the $2,500 spent in defending it would cost more than the $2,500 spent unless you filed in small claims court. Possibly you could bring an action for malicious prosecution against your wife. As far as a lawsuit against your former best friend for wrecking your marriage, the chances of being able to prove liability and damages is usually never successful.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.