If my wife drained all joint accounts into a private account for herself, is there any fast way to get legal relief?

My wife and I are separated, and had 2 joint accounts. One was strictly all of her income, and the other was strictly my own income (from before and during the marriage. My wife has drained both accounts into an in-her-name-only account. I am a jobless disabled military veteran and will basically be homeless in a day or so. My wife has been adamant about not returning any funds, even though she makes 6 figures in a good year. I know divorces can take quite a while to conclude, so is there any FAST legal relief I can get in the meantime so I can eat and not live on the street?

Asked on December 12, 2011 under Family Law, Texas


Kelly Broadbent / Broadbent & Taylor

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In Massachusetts, parties can file motions for temporary orders to deal with imminent issues that need to be addressed as the case progresses.  You may be able to file a motion for temporary orders to grant you access to the funds that she has removed from the bank.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.