What to do if my wife bought a used car from a private seller but a week later someone showed up at the house with an out of state title saying it’s his car?

The person with the out of state title had the out of state title flagged so we can not get it registered. What can we do?

Asked on July 14, 2012 under General Practice, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written about the care that was purchased is that the seller had no right to sell you a car that he or she did not have registered title to. As such, your wife should hold onto possession of the car she bought and have the seller come over and take possession of it in exchange for a cashier's check for the full purchase price.

In essence, your wife is rescinding the purchase of the car. If the seller refuses to do the above, I suggest that your wife consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law to assist in her in getting her money back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.