If my wife and I would like to make a percentage change to the distribution of assets in our revocable Trust, must we enlist the services of a lawyer or is there a more simple way to alter the document?

Asked on September 23, 2015 under Estate Planning, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You don't need an attorney.  You can file an amendment to the Trust stating the change you are making to the Trust.  Both you and your wife should sign the amendment to the Trust in the presence of a notary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.