If my wife wants to divorce and we are both named on the lease, can she legally remove me from the home?

Asked on March 6, 2012 under Family Law, New Jersey


Alan Pransky / Law Office of Alan J Pransky

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your wife can go to court and ask a judge to remove you from the home.  The name on the lease is one factor of many for a judge to consider when ruling on a request to vacate.  A judge can order you to vacate the home even if your name is on the lease.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.