How to protect against an increase in child support?

My wife and I have started our own business as owner operators (married team drivers). Everything is in her name, the truck, and both our income. That is just how the company pays, only 1 of us. Even though she pays me, insurance, truck payments, fuel, etc., her net income is very high becuase it shows both our incomes as hers. We are worried that with this new high net income, her ex-husband will demand the state raises child support. We pay almost $600 month for 1 child already, which works well. How can we show her true net income and not be subject to unrealistic child support dues?

Asked on January 21, 2013 under Family Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

From what you write, the best way is to have the company pay both of  you, so that your joint income is the same but it's not all attributable to your wife. It doesn't matter if the business, truck, etc. is in her name--the company can still employ you for your work. Shift how you're paid to show less income to your wife and some to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.