If my wife and I have been separated over a year but she still hopes we’ll get back together, is there anything that she cn do to hold up the process?

I am moving out of state soon and want to be divorced by then. If she can hold thngs up, how can I fight it?

Asked on January 10, 2013 under Family Law, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your wife will not agree to resolve the issues between you then the divorce becomes what is known as "contested" and it could takes months or even a year to resolve the matter.  Some counties in Kentucky require that you attend a mediation on the issues and if that does not resolve the matter, you are on to a trial with a Judge.  Good luck.

B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The most that she can do is ask for a continuance or two for the final hearing.  The divorce process starts with the filing of a petition.  After the petition is filed, spouses must wait at least 60 days before they can finalize the divorce.  As soon as the court will allow, you can request a final hearing if she will not sign off on an agreed decree.  She can't stop the divorce from happening, but she call stall if she asks for and is granted a continuance for the final hearing.  Whether or not the continuance will be granted is up to the judge.  The best way to try to resolve this issue is to request a final hearing early in the divorce and give her more than the required notice of the hearing.  You could then argue that she has had more than enough time to prepare, and that the request for continuance is just a stall tactic. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.