What to do if my wife and I have been separated to 5 years and we have a daughter together but she is denying me the right to see her?

I haven’t seen my little girl in 5 years. My wife has another child by another man currently and I am looking to pursue a divorce. I don’t know where to start.

Asked on November 16, 2012 under Family Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to discuss the possible filing of a petition against your daughter's mother seeking visitation rights with your daughter if she will not voluntarily allow you to see your child as well as filing a petition for a marital dissolution as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.